The ‘jobs’ challenge
Traditional methods of job creation in India (e.g. white collar jobs, high-growth start-ups, and self-employment) are unable to keep pace with the number of youth entering the workforce. Mass enterprises (MEs), firms with 5 to 20 employees, a common lever of job creation in many countries such as USA, China, Bangladesh, is significantly underutilised in India.
In Aug 2018, influencers and prominent organisations in entrepreneurship development identified the need for a national-level organisation to mainstream and build a thriving ecosystem around mass entrepreneurship.
The ambition of the Alliance is to create 10 million mass entrepreneurs by 2030, half of whom will be women.
GAME will operate through partner organisations, across policy, civil society, academia, and private sector, who will generate fresh insights, opportunity zones, new ideas, innovative technologies, and scalable actions. We firmly believe that solving hard problems requires collective effort, and the Alliance will exist to guide and enable collective impact.
The Alliance encompass three core groups: Alliance members, Taskforces, and the Secretariat.
Alliance members will be those working directly with entrepreneurs, and will be primary beneficiaries of the Alliance.
Taskforces will be multi-stakeholder groups continuously generating new actions – both local and national – that can grow mass entrepreneurship on the ground.
The Secretariat will be a support organisation: advocating for common goals, facilitating discussions, enabling collaborative action, and mobilising resources towards ME.
For more information please visit our website.
The Vice President will be part of the Secretariat team, building and supporting the ecosystem for mass entrepreneurship. We are looking for self-motivated individuals with endless energy. The Vice President should possess: the ability to shape and guide GAME’s research agenda, frame high leverage problem statements, superior research management skills, expertise in quantitative & qualitative research methodologies, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Vice President should be capable of identifying the ‘learning needs’ of the Secretariat, Taskforces, and Alliance and commission/manage a research team OR third party researchers to deliver high quality and valuable outputs. They should be inspired by and thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced, and continuously evolving environments, function independently, when needed, with a deep personal commitment to both our proximate (e.g. Alliance organisations/overall ecosystem) and ultimate partners (e.g. potential or existing entrepreneurs).
At a minimum, we expect candidates with at least 5 years of experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research and at least 3 years in managing research for a top tier entity. The Vice President should possess at least a master’s degree. A strong understanding of the MSME landscape will be a huge plus.
- Create a pipeline of research that helps scale learning within the ecosystem and constantly adds value to existing knowledge; ensure that research is not duplicative; identify and execute on research agendas that cut across taskforces
- Support taskforces with building & testing hypotheses, providing technical inputs, and executing on outputs (i.e., research studies, model/program evaluations, and pilots relevant to each of them)
- Oversee and manage research partners and a research team and ensure high quality execution
- Advise and shape the research agenda of partners: many Alliance partners will conduct their own research; advise them on the direction (i.e. ensure it contributes to learning on mass entrepreneurship), and methodologies
- Manage GAME’s knowledge management function in collaboration with the communications team
- Lead/execute technical discussions / workshops (e.g. roundtables, technical sessions in convenings etc.)
GAME’s promise to you
Working with a ‘mission-driven’ and ‘problem focused’ Alliance will help you:
- Build terrific networks: the Alliance will include the best and brightest in private sector, social sector, and entrepreneurship thinking and experience to the table; you will engage partners with a strong research function, influential taskforce members, and research agencies across the spectrum of capabilities and experience
- Become a systems thinker: GAME will use multiple pathways (e.g. financing, technology etc.) to grow mass entrepreneurship; overtime, you will be able to connect the dots, seed new partnerships, and make new connections, that enable mass entrepreneurship journeys with a ‘systems integration’ approach
- Wear many hats, become a reliable generalist: GAME will be an evolving organisation that responds to the critical needs of the ecosystem as they present themselves and so, you will play the role of a strategist, advisor, convenor, facilitator, match maker etc., as and when needed; partners will reach out to you for advice, and expect you to deliver on goals for individual relationships
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset: while this is a key theme for GAME, your colleagues will rely on you to constantly come up with new ideas and drive their execution; ownership will always remain high
- Double down on your passion: as an entity engaging with entrepreneurship through many different pathways (e.g. finance, school curriculum, gender etc.) you will have opportunities to focus on things you care about (while maintaining other responsibilities)
If this opportunity excites you, hit the apply button below.